Basil Tree, a New Host of Downy Mildew Pathogen Peronospora belbahrii
Gyeonggido Agricultural Research and Extension Services, Hwaseong 18388, Korea1 Department of Biology, Kunsan National University, Gunsan 54150, Korea2 Division of Environmental Science and Ecological Engineering, Korea University, Seoul 02841, Korea3
Basil ( spp.) is a popular herb grown worldwide. During the past fifteen years, a downy mildew pathogen has caused considerable damage to basil cultivations. In August 2017, downy mildew disease symptoms were found on Basil Tree (or long foot Basil Tree), which was developed by the grafting of two basil varieties and is a continuous harvest plant with a woody trunk. The present study reports the occurrence of downy mildew disease in basil Tree and identifies the causal pathogen, as .
1. Thines M, Choi YJ. Evolution, diversity, and taxonomy of the Peronosporaceae, with focus on the genus Peronospora . Phytopathology 2016;106:6-18.
2. Constantinescu O. An annotated list of Peronospora names. Thunbergia 1991;15:1-110.
3. Belbahri L, Calmin G, Pawlowski J, Lefort F. Phylogenetic analysis and real time PCR detection of a presumably undescribed Peronospora species on sweet basil and sage. Mycol Res 2005;109:1276-87.
4. Thines M, Telle S, Ploch S, Runge F. Identity of the downy mildew pathogens of basil, coleus, and sage with implications for quarantine measures. Mycol Res 2009;113:532-40.
5. Choi YJ, Shin HD, Thines M. Two novel Peronospora species are associated with recent reports of downy mildew on sages. Mycol Res 2009;113:1340-50.
6. Farr DF, Rossman AY. Fungal databases, U.S. National Fungus Collections, ARS, USDA [Internet]. Beltsville: Systematic Mycology and Microbiology Laboratory; 2018 [cited 2018 Apr 23]. Available from: http://nt.ars-grin.gov/fungaldatabases/.
7. Choi YJ, Choi IY, Lee KJ, Shin HD. First report of downy mildew caused by Peronospora belbahrii on sweet basil ( ) in Korea. Plant Dis 2016;100:2335.
8. Choi YJ, Beakes G, Glockling S, Kruse J, Nam B, Nigrelli L, Ploch S, Shin HD, Shivas RG, Telle S, et al. Towards a universal barcode of oomycetes-a comparison of the cox 1 and cox 2 loci. Mol Ecol Resour 2015;15:1275-88.
9. Katoh K, Standley DM. MAFFT multiple sequence alignment software version 7: improvements in performance and usability. Mol Biol Evol 2013;30:772-80.
10. Katoh K, Toh H. Improved accuracy of multiple ncRNA alignment by incorporating structural information into a MAFFT-based framework. BMC Bioinformatics 2008;9:212.
11. Kumar S, Stecher G, Tamura K. MEGA7: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis Version 7.0 for Bigger Datasets. Mol Biol Evol 2016;33:1870-4.
12. Runge F, Thines M. Reevaluation of host specificity of the closely related species Pseudoperonospora humuli and P. cubensis . Plant Dis 2012;96:55-61.
13. Wyenandt CA, Simon JE, Pyne RM, Homa K, McGrath MT, Zhang S, Raid RN, Ma LJ, Wick R, Guo L, et al. Basil downy mildew