Effect of Ganoderma lucidum Solid-state Fermented Salix gracilistyla Extract on Type I Procollagen Biosynthesis in HDFn Cells
Yong-Un Jeong1 Young-Jin Park1,*
Department of Integrated Biosciences, Research Institute for Biomedical and Health Science, College of Biomedical and Health Science, Konkuk University, Chungju 27478, Korea1
This study was carried out to investigate the feasibility of Salix gracilistyla production for cosmetic use through mycelial fermentation. The efficacy of this method was confirmed by fermentation using the mycelia of Ganoderma lucidum (a representative medicinal mushroom). Total polyphenol and flavonoid content and DPPH radical scavenging activity of S. gracilistyla extract (SGE) were found to be higher than those of G. lucidum fermented S. gracilistyla extract (GLSGE). GLSGE had relatively lower collagenase activity than SGE. However, GLSGE increased HDFn cell viability more potently than SGE, and increased the biosynthesis of type I procollagen. Thus, GLSGE could be used as an anti-aging cosmetic active ingredient. These results indicate that extract fermentation using G. lucidum mycelia can effectively enhance some beneficial effects of functional materials.
1. Quan T, He T, Kang S, Voorhees JJ, Fisher GJ. Solar ultraviolet irradiation reduces collagen in photoaged human skin by blocking transforming growth factor-type II receptor/Smad signaling. Am J Pathol 2004; 165:741-51.
2. Chakraborti S, Mandal M, Das S, Mandal A, Chakraborti T. Regulation of matrix metalloproteinases: An overview. Mol Cell Biochem 2003;253:269-85.
3. Shingleton WD, Cawston TE, Hodges DJ, Brick P. Collagenase: A key enzyme in collagen turnover. Biochem Cell Biol 1996;74:759-75.
4. Cao YH, Cao RH. Angiogenesis inhibited by drinking tea, Nature 1999;398:381.
5. Madsen HL, Bertelsen G. Spices as antioxidants, Trends Food Sci Technol 1995;6:271-7.
7. Makimura M, Hirasawa M, Kobayashi K, Indo J, Sakanaka S, Taguchi T, Otake S. Inhibitory effect of tea catechins on collagenase activity. J Periodontol 1993;64:630-6.
8. Liu Z, Li F, Zhang L, Yu H, Yu F, Chen J. The effect of active components from citrus fruits on dentin MMPs. Arch Oral Biol 2017;83:111-7.
9. Freischmidt A, Jrgenliemk G, Kraus B, Okpanyi SN, Mller J, Kelber O, Weiser D, Heilmann J. Contribution of flavonoids and catechol to the reduction of ICAM-1 expression in endothelial cells by a standardised willow bark extract. Phytomedicine 2012;19:245-52.
10. Li X, Liu Z, Zhang XF, Wang LJ, Zheng YN, Yuan CC, Sun GZ. Isolation and characterization of phenolic compounds from the leaves of Salix matsudana . Molecules 2008;13:1530-7.
11. Sultana S, Saleem M. Salix caprea inhibits skin carcinogenesis in murine skin: inhibition of oxidative stress, ornithine decarboxylase activity and DNA synthesis. J Ethnopharmacol 2003;91:267-76.
12. Alam MS, Kaur G, Jabbar Z, Javed K, Athar M. Evaluation of antioxidant activity of Salix caprea flowers. Phytother Res 2006;20:479-83.
13. Shivatare RS, Phopase ML, Nagore DH, Nipanikar SU, Chitlange SS. Development and validation of HPLC analytical protocol for quantification of salicin from Salix alba L.. Inventi Impact: Pharm Anal Qual Assur 2015;2015: 1-6.
14. Kim KS. A study on development of functional scalp cosmetics materials Salix gracilistyla extract [dissertation]. Gwangju: Nambu University; 2017.
15. Seo JH. Studies on the flavonoid constituents isolated from the leaves of Salix gracilistyl Miquel [dissertation]. Andong: Andong National University; 2001.
16. Jeong YU, Park YJ. Studies on antioxidant, anti-inflammation, and collagenase inhibitory effects of extracts from plants of the genus Salix . J Soc Cosmet Sci Korea 2018;44:335-41.
17. Jeong YU, Park YJ. Studies on antioxidant and whitening activities of Salix gracilistyla extracts. J Soc Cosmet Sci Korea 2018;44:317-25.
18. Chen JH, Jiang RL. A pharmacological study of the Chinese drug lingzhi ( Ganoderma ). Acta Pharm Sin B 1980;15:234-44.
19. Furusawa E, Chou SC, Furusawa S, Hirazumi A, Dang Y. Antitumour activity of Ganoderma lucidum , an edible mushroom, on intraperitoneally implanted lewis lung carcinoma in synergenic mice. Phytother Res 1992;6:300-4.
20. Shiao MS, Lee KR, Lin JJ, Wang CT. Natural products and biological activities of the Chinese medicinal fungus Ganoderma lucidum . In: Ho CT, Osawa T, Huang T, Rosen RT editors. Food phytochemicals for cancer prevention II: Teas, spices and herbs. Washington, USA: American Chemical Society; 1994. p. 342-54.
21. Chien CC, Tsai ML, Chen CC, Chang SJ, Tseng CH. Effects on tyrosinase activity by the extracts of Ganoderma lucidum and related mushrooms. Mycopathologia 2008;166:117-20.
22. Kim JW, Kim HI, Kim JH, Kwon O, Son ES, Lee CS, Park YJ. Effects of ganodermanondiol, a new melanogenesis inhibitor from the medicinal mushroom Ganoderma lucidum . Int J Mol Sci 2016;17:e1798.
23. Jeong YU, Kim HI, Kim JH, Park YJ. Enhancement of ganodermanondiol and anti-melanogenesis effect of Ganoderma lucidum by Rhus verniciflua extract supplementation. J Soc Cosmet Sci Korea 2017;43:365-71.
24. Kim HI, Jeong YU, Kim JH, Choi IH, Lee JH, Lee CS, Park YJ. Anti-melanogenesis effect of Ganoderma lucidum mycelial extract supplemented with oriental raisin tree ( Hovenia dulcis ) extract. J Soc Cosmet Sci Korea 2017;43:357-64.
25. Falcone Ferreyra ML, Rius SP, Casati P. Flavonoids: biosynthesis, biological functions, and biotechnological applications. Front Plant Sci 2012;3:e222.
26. Pandey KB, Rizvi SI. Plant polyphenols as dietary antioxidants in human health and disease. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2009;2:270-8.
27. Rytioja J, Hilden K, Yuzon J, Hatakka A, de Vries RP, Makela MR. Plant-polysaccharide-degrading enzymes from Basidiomycetes. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 2014;78:614-49.
28. Park YJ, Jeong YU, Kong WS. Genome sequencing and carbohydrate-active enzyme (CAZyme) repertoire of the white rot fungus Flammulina elastica . Int J Mol Sci 2018;19:e2379.
29. Gianfreda L, Xu F, Bollag JM. Laccases: a useful group of oxidoreductive enzymes. Bioremed J 1999;3:1-16.
30. Dewanto V, Wu X, Adom KK, Liu RH. Thermal processing enhances the nutritional value of tomatoes by increasing total antioxidant activity. J Agric Food Chem 2002;50:3010-4.